Liberty Margaret spent nearly 5 years with us before she received
permanent Angel Wings, teaching us what life is truly
about,showing us the true definition of courage,hope,
love and faith. These are the memories that live in
our hearts forever.

4.08.2011

Organ Donation Awareness Month

The facts:
- 110,586 people are waiting for an Organ.
- 18 people will die per day waiting for an Organ.
- 1 Organ donor can save 8 lives.

My personal feelings on this are Live Life then Give Life. Be someones Miracle.

My personal story of Libby being a donor.

 Of course I had always felt being an Organ Donor is a MUST. I never had a second thought about it for Libby & myself. Then the moment came when Libby passed. Extreme shock and sadness hits you. Your own heart feels like it was just ripped out. You can barely think, speak or feel. Then almost immediately the question came, "Will you donate your daughters organs?". I felt mad at first, how dare someone interrupt the first few moments of my mourning time and I thought can't they wait. Then it all came back to me, they are asking if they can have them this soon because they have to. They aren't going to stay fresh forever, and the people needing organs may only have a few moments of life themselves. All those feelings and thoughts went through my body within 60 seconds. I felt horrible about those first feelings I had, that's so not me, but in the moment I had so many feelings going through my mind/heart that I became confused.... Whether your child is sick or perfectly healthy I think you need to have a set plan in your mind. In the moment it is hard to think about decisions that fast, having a plan is crucial. Even for yourself, make sure your loved ones know your choice and make it official www.organdonor.gov/become.asp . Libbys eyes and skin were the only things that were in good enough shape to be donated, and we signed off on it. Later we found out because of her fever they actually couldn't be donated. I believe your childs spirit goes up to Heaven and joins God and that they do not need their broken bodies anymore, so the fact that you can save 8 childrens lives is nothing short of AMAZING.

~ Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot, nothing is going to get better.  It's not. ~ Dr. Seuss


 

1 comment:

  1. I agree. And a plan is definitely needed so that when that awful time comes, you aren't having to make that decision.

    ReplyDelete